Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Auf wiedersehen Deutschland

21 students traveling for 21 hours was not easy however we made it work.  At 3 a.m. our day started. Although I enjoyed the breakfast bags that were given to us I couldn't wait to get home and eat Waffle House. As my classmates and I waited half asleep in the lobby we all talked about the cool places we visited, our excursions to the Castles and the unique bike tours. This has been my first time out of the country and I enjoyed every minute of it!
When we got to the airport we were extremely early so I wondered why were were rushing earlier. I politely claimed my spot at the beginning of the bag check-in line and jammed out to Drake's Views album while we waited for the airport to open. I am extremely afraid of planes so listening to music calmed me down some. Once it opened I dropped my bag off and walked through the security check point. It wouldn't be a day of successful travel if I didn't get pulled aside and have my bag searched. I was checked for weapons because my mini lotion looked like it served another purpose than to moisturize my elbows. I was finally free to go and waited on our flight to Amsterdam.
The airport in Amsterdam is the most upscale airport I have ever seen. I know Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta Airport has plenty of nice stores for travelers to stop and shop however Amsterdam Airport Schipol was like a mall and there just so happened to be airplanes present. Walking to our gate I noticed stores such as Gucci, Hérmes and Bvlgari. I felt like I was in heaven but I needed to focus - had a plane to catch. When checking in at the gate I was asked a series of questions by the International Relations attendant that caught me off guard a little. "Did you leave your bag alone?" "Did anyone offer you anything while you were here?" I answered no and with a hesitant smile she handed back my passport and told me to have a great flight. While waiting for our flight to Atlanta I should have been getting snacks but I decided to nap instead. I'm pretty sure I was the victim of a picture with my mouth open.
It was finally time to board and I was so excited. I missed my family and couldn't wait to get back. Once in the sky I took a peek outside. The flight would be long however it all finally hit me that my trip was coming to an end. I finally can scratch off my bucket list that I traveled abroad. I danced, I laughed and I even saw nude people wandering around a very liberal park. This experience is one I will ever forget and I'm excited to see where I will be flying to next.

No comments: